CIO, get out there!

Column by Stijn Viaene, professor of Management Information Systems
(Source: Smart Business Strategies, February 2011)

  • Professor at KULeuven and Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
  • Partner at Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School
  • Deloitte Research Chair Bringing IT to Board Level

The Chief Information Officer (CIO) of tomorrow will spend 70% of her time out of the house. At customers and suppliers, at conferences with colleagues, in business schools. And don’t forget the virtual world: wending your way through life blogging, chatting, tweeting... Then, she’ll use the remaining 30% to implant this externally acquired 'business intelligence' safely and securely into the organisation, while socialising, negotiating and inspiring.

I have no idea whether these figures are right. Where did I find them? Just made them up. Unbecoming an academic? Perhaps. There are those that make their living from prophesies. But just think a moment.

We live in turbulent times, right? Times in which the unimaginable is no longer so unimaginable. Good administration without a government, for example. Belgium as role model for the world! The practice of strategic management is being rethought to help you survive in a world of 'unknown unknowns'. And the times are golden again for IT providers. After all, business information systems need to become 'smarter'. Just like CIOs.

The challenge is to use industrialised information flows to turn the dynamism of the external world into an internal dynamism, at the same velocity. Everybody swears by 'operational excellence' these days. A truly magical word for every self-respecting IT department. And it’s just as valid for other departments, of course. But where is your point of comparison? Correct! Outside your organisation. The benchmark is over there with the competition! Just like 'customer intelligence' is with your customers, not with your sales people.

So, let your CIO explore and revel in the external world. Encourage it. More than ever, we need system thinkers (and doers!) at the highest level in our organisations who see how value can be drawn from external information. You’re going to need it, in these turbulent times. And then there are those at the onset of 2011 who are doubtful about the CIO’s role surviving in the future. You’re sadly mistaken. Happy New Year!

Related news

  1. New

    Citizen budgets in the smart city – a good idea?

    Date: 12/01/2017
    Category: Opinions
    Citizen participation is essential to many smart city ambitions. Smart cities are supposed to be resourceful in using and harvesting scarce resources, including ‘ideas’. In this sense the ‘Citizen Budget’ is a great idea. By committing financial means, and at the same time exposing project ideas, the city attracts bottom-up ideas that could prove to be attractive to realise the city vision. At the same time the initiative contributes to a higher form of citizen participation, as the city does not limit itself to listening to citizen’s needs, but commits to the execution of a selection of these ideas. So the citizen budget is a good idea? Researcher Joachim Van den Bergh sees some attention points.
  2. Optimum customer experience thanks to the digital transformation

    Date: 20/12/2016
    Category: Opinions
    Digital is the new standard. Although you could define the concept of digital transformation as a hype, there isn’t an organisation in the world that should allow itself to be deterred by this. The main challenge lies in the ability to adapt to the realities of the digital economy in good time. LiquidFloors, the innovative specialist in floor coating systems, shows that even SMEs can benefit tremendously from digitalisation. CEO Miguel Garcia and COO Hans Denecker speak about how the digital transformation has changed their organisation.
All articles