An Executive Master Class begins with four core modules. These have been designed to give you a superb basis and get you working alongside your fellow participants and the faculty. Before or after the core modules you can choose out of a broad range of programmes how you want to complement the core modules. We’ll suggest two learning paths but at the same time allow you to build your own learning path. You will find more details when you browse through this programme webpage.
Module 1: Corporate Finance Decisions (3 days)
- First, we’ll use case studies and an Interactive online game to remind ourselves of the fundamentals.
- You’ll also meet your fellow participants and be involved in discussions and highly interactive sessions that will characterise the whole of your learning journey at Vlerick.
- Topics covered: the purpose of corporate finance, overview of recent major transactions, recap of financial statements and analysis, working capital management, planning and fundraising, introduction to capital budgeting, firm valuation, enterprise risk management.
Module 2: Advanced Corporate Finance (3 days)
- We’ll delve into the theories that underpin all corporate finance decisions. These will include capital budgeting and financial structure decisions and their impact on investors’ expected returns – as well as your company’s average weighted cost of capital.
- Value creation is the central theme. How do your financial decisions contribute to value creation? We’ll be examining examples and case studies to bring the theory to life and pave the way for further learning.
Module 3: Accounting for Financial Decision Making (3 days)
- The state of a company’s health is measured by its numbers. Accounting communicates the figures to investors, managers and other stakeholders through financial statements. But that in itself is not enough. They need to be able to interpret the financial statements too. This module deals with financial accounting’s link with the real economy in the context of international financial markets.
- Topics covered: the link between accounting and valuation, valuation methods and value frameworks, cash flow analysis, including liquidity and solvency ratios, profitability analysis, including return on net operating assets and ROE.
Module 4: Capital Budgeting & Company Valuation (3 days)
- Value creation should be the cornerstone of every corporate strategy - and every finance professional should master how to appraise both companies and projects. You will gain a profound understanding of the concepts of value and return, under conditions of risk and uncertainty.
- You will also learn how to conduct a risk assessment and a cost of capital analysis that can serve as a basis for discounted cash flow models and other valuation tools, including multiples. Using a real options framework, you will also learn to conduct assessments that factor in management flexibility.
- Topics covered: risk and return, cost of capital, project appraisal methods including NPV, IRR and payback, company valuation techniques including DCF and multiples, sensitivity analysis, Monte Carlo simulation and real options.
Before or after the core modules you can choose out of a broad range of programmes how you want to complement the core modules. Based on our experience we recommend three possible paths. You choose the one that best fulfils yours and your company’s needs. Not sure what to choose? We‘ll be happy to advise you on this!
- Structuring & Financing M&A Deals (3 days)
Mergers and acquisitions have become a part of today’s increasingly competitive and global economic environment, and they can be important strategic tools for creating value. You will learn all the steps involved in the M&A process – and you’ll develop an understanding of the factors that can make or break a deal. You’ll become familiar with techniques for selecting appropriate prospects and structuring the best deal.
- Venture Capital & Private Equity (2 days)
Step by step, we’ll demystify venture capital and private equity. You’ll be tackling important questions including how a VC/PE company is structured – and how a deal with them is constructed. You’ll learn how this allows them to mitigate the high level of risk – and you’ll also become familiar with term sheets and what’s included in them.
- People Manager (4 days)
Your employees can make or break your company and its success depends on how you motivate and direct them. Line management plays a key role in this - which is why people management skills are essential to every manager in every organisation. This programme will hand you the tools needed to boost your employees’ performance and engagement and help make your organisation more profitable.
- Self-leadership (2 days)
To get the most from your team, you first need to be able to get the most from yourself. This programme has been designed to help you become an even better manager. So whether you want to have more impact in your current position, or you want to step up to a management role, you’ll develop and strengthen your skills.
Pick & Choose pad
The recommended paths don’t fully address your needs? Then simply build your own path by selecting the electives most suited to yours & your company’s needs. You can choose these electives from all short-focused programmes with a minimum of 4 and up to a total maximum of 6 days. Our programme finder will give you a good overview of the broad range of possibilities. Or you can just contact us for further advice.
With this Executive Master Class, you’ll have an impact in your organisation! Not only are our classes filled with practical examples, case studies and guest speakers. Through an in-company project, you’ll be able to work on your own challenges, relevant to your business.
In order to meet the Executive Master Class certification requirements, you should successfully execute an in-company project, which allows you to translate your knowledge into business practice. Throughout this in-company project, you’ll apply the knowledge and experience acquired during the programme in your own business. This project is carried out under the supervision of a faculty adviser and an internal company adviser. The scope of the project is defined in consultation with the company and the Vlerick adviser. The outcome of the project is a practical and relevant management report that will help you realise the impact of the Executive Master Class in your business.
During the programme, you will write three individual papers that will be graded:
- Analysis of the free cash flows of your company, its weighted average cost of capital, and its capital structure;
- Analysis of a listed company, including an earnings quality analysis, financial analysis, and valuation;
- Valuation of your company, and identification of real options.
Next, your company project will be your opportunity to prove the jury that you have mastered the content of the programme and are able to apply it in a real-world context.
When you successfully complete your company project, the three papers and attend at least 80% of the lectures, you will be awarded the Executive Master Class Certificate in Corporate Finance.
Discover our unique modular approach: It’s all about you!