Applying for a student visa

If you are not a European citizen, you will need to apply for a student visa to come to Belgium. For further information about the procedure, please consult your local Belgian embassy or consulate or the following website:

We recommend that you apply for a student visa type D with multiple entries and with a validity for the entire duration of the programme. Please take into account that it can take up to two months to process a student visa application once a complete application is submitted with the Belgian embassy. The Belgian embassy or consulate in your country will provide you with all information on the documents and procedures required to obtain this visa. Please enquire at your local embassy or consulate as soon as you receive your proof of registration from the admissions office.

Since Vlerick Business School is a higher education establishment organized, recognized and subsidized by the public authorities (Article 58), there is no need to provide information on course curriculum.

Visa fees: The administrative fee, to be paid to the embassy, equals to €200 as Vlerick Business School is a public university institution. This fee is to be paid on top of the handling fee/consular taxes of the long stay visa (equivalent of €180 in local currency). You are exempted of paying the administrative fee in case you received a scholarship.

To apply for the visa, you will also have to prove solvency.

  • via blocked account
    We strongly recommend this option as it will be the fastest and more reliable option. You can transfer €9.600 into the account of Vlerick Business School and get a Financial Certificate to prove solvency to the embassy in return. (i.e. we will pay back 12 times €800 into your Belgian bank account from September 2021 up and including August 2022). 
  • via “pledge of financial support”, also called Annex 32
    Do note that there are very strict requirements for the sponsor, which makes this the more riskier option. A pledge of financial support is specific proof of means of subsistence. Through this pledge of financial support, parents or relatives act as a guarantor for your period of residence, your return journey and your medical costs.  More info can be found via the Immigration Office (open version 'study in a Dutch Speaking community'). 

Extra step for Chinese students: APS
In case you have a Chinese degree certificate, you will have to obtain the APS certificate in order to get a student visa at the Belgian embassy or Consulates General in PR China. Please contact the APS administration in Beijing at [email protected].

The APS screening consists of two parts:

  • they will check the authenticity of your degree certificate and will therefore contact your university or the Chinese Ministry of Education. 
  • in addition there is an interview testing your language skills.

Note: If you fail to obtain the correct visa, Vlerick Business School cannot be held responsible for the resulting consequences.

& Rankings

Equis Association of MBAs AACSB Financial Times